Updated: Feb 5, 2021
The movement screen is a tool used to identify asymmetries which result in functional movement deficiencies and are possible deficits that could indicate an increased risk of injury.
Equipment: dowel, tape to mark off 6" x 36" rectangle, camera to video (iPhone, tablet...)
Time required: 10 min.
Watch the videos and read the steps required to complete each movement in the screen.
Get a dowel (or broom handle) and mark off a 6"x36" rectangle on the floor (pictured below)
Record each assessment (you will submit these to me via email or Google Drives).
Do not perform any movement that cause pain, strain or you feel uncomfortable executing.
• Stand tall with your feet together and arms hanging comfortably.
• Make a fist so your fingers are around your thumbs.
• In one motion, place the right fist over head and down your back as far as possible while
simultaneously taking your left fist up your back as far as possible.
• Do not “creep” your hands closer after their initial placement.
Please record 1x from the back.
• Place the dowel along the spine so it touches the back of your head, your upper back and
the middle of the buttocks.
• While grasping the dowel, your right hand should be against the back of your neck, and the left hand should be against your lower back.
• Step into your 6x30 inch rectangle with a flat right foot. Your left heel should be placed slightly more than a walking step behind you.
• Both toes must be pointing forward, with feet flat.
• Maintaining an upright posture so the dowel stays in contact with your head, upper back
and top of the buttocks, descend into a lunge position so the right knee touches or comes about 1 inch from the floor. Do not force an uncomfortable range of motion. If your knee can not touch work within a range of motion that is comfortable.
• Return to the starting position.
Please record both right and left foot leading - 2 x's from the front and 2 x's from the side.
• Get on your hands and knees over the rectangle so your hands are under your shoulders and your knees are under your hips.
• The thumbs, knees and toes must contact the sides of the rectangle and the toes must be pulled toward the shins.
• At the same time, reach your right hand forward and right leg backward, like you are flying.
• Then without touching down, touch your right elbow to your right knee
• Return to the extended position.
• Return to the start position.
If unable to complete use a diagonal pattern of right arm and left leg. and vice versa (like a birddog)
Please record 2x's from the front on each side
Trunk Stability Pushup:
• Lie face down with your arms extended overhead and your hands shoulder width apart.
• Pull your thumbs down in line with the ___ (forehead for men, chin for women).
• With your legs together, pull your toes toward the shins and lift your knees and elbows off
• While maintaining a rigid torso, push your body as one unit into a pushup position.
This is extremely challenging! If you are unable to maintain a safe, rigid torso (and your spine sways), do not complete.
Please record 1x from the side.
Active Straight Leg Raise:
• Lay flat with the back of your knees against a folded towel with your toes pointing up.
• Place both arms next to your body with the palms facing up.
• Pull the toes of your right foot toward your shin.
• With the right leg remaining straight and the back of your left knee maintaining contact
with the towel raise your right foot as high as possible (do not force it).
Please record 2x's from the side on each side.
• Stand tall with your feet approximately shoulder width apart and toes pointing forward.
• Grasp the dowel in both hands and place it horizontally on top of your head so your
shoulders and elbows are at 90 degrees.
• Press the dowel so that it is directly above your head.
• While maintaining an upright torso, and keeping your heels and the dowel in position,
descend as deep as possible (there is no "right" depth - do not strain or force a range of motion.
• Hold the descended position for a count of one, then return to the starting position.
Please record 2 x's from the front, 2 x's from the side and 2x's from the back.